2014 Workshop Schedule
The majority of my workshops are held at 1048 North River road from 3:00 – 5:00 PM (note this is a new time as of April 2014). Those hosted elsewhere at in CAPS below.
TO REGISTER: For workshops at Rivershouse contact Lori at 613-255-7934 or email@example.com.
For workshops hosted elsewhere please call the number listed.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR WORKSHOP DESCRIPTIONS
Sat May 10: Overcoming Insomnia $25.00 3-5 PM AT METTA MASSAGE & YOGA CLINIC Pls call 613-724-4747 to register.
Sun May 11: Overcoming Insomnia $25.00 3-5 PM at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd
Sat June 7: Mudras, Mantras and Meditation $25.00 3-5 PM AT METTA MASSAGE & YOGA CLINIC Pls call 613-724-4747 to register.
Sun June 22: Mudras, Mantras and Meditation $35.00 3-5 PM (3 hrs) at at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd*
Sun July 13: Ayurveda Basics: Self-Care for Summer $25.00 3-5 PM at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd
Sun Aug 10: Breathe to Relieve Stress & Anxiety $25.00 3-5 PM at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd
Sun Sept 14: Yoga Nidra: The Sleep of Self Discovery $25.00 3-5 PM at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd
Sun Oct 5: Ayurveda Basics: Getting Grounded $25.00 3-5 PM at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd
Sun Nov 9: Overcoming Insomnia $25.00 3-5 PM at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd
Sun Dec 14: Yoga Nidra: The Sleep of Self Discovery $25.00 3-5 PM at Riverhouse 1048 North River Rd
Please sign up for my free newsletter to stay up to date on workshops.
Ayurveda means “the science of life”. It is an ancient system of medicine still used widely in India today. Ayurveda is the sister science of yoga. While yoga was traditionally a system to allow humans to discover their own inherent divine nature, Ayurveda’s focus was more on maintaining balance in the physical body. Ayurveda recognizes the absolute connection between the mind, body and spirit/soul.
Ayurveda works on the principle that all things in the universe, including humans, are made up of earth, water, fire, air and space. Each element has certain qualities such as solidity, fluidity and heat. Each one of us is a unique combination of these elements. This unique combination determines our personal tendencies at the physical, psycho-emotional and spiritual levels. Understanding your Ayurvedic constitution or “elemental DNA” helps you make lifestyle choices that support your health instead of undermine it.
Because of the close link between yoga and Ayurveda, it is helpful to have at least a basic understanding of Ayurveda if you are practicing yoga.
Ayurveda Basics is a 2 hour workshop that
will help you discover:
- What is my dosha type?
- What yoga postures, breathing techniques and meditations can help balance my dosha?
- What are some lifestyle changes I can make to find a better balance?
You will receive handouts documenting your Ayurvedic constitution and tips for correcting imbalances.
Ayurveda Basics is offered periodically. For the next session, see the calendar.
Insomnia is defined as repeated difficulty with the initiation, duration, maintenance or quality of sleep that occurs despite adequate time and opportunity for sleep. Insomnia results in some form of daytime impairment like the inability to do your job effectively or efficiently. If you have difficultly getting, or staying asleep this workshop may help you.
In this experiential workshop you’ll learn…
- what are some of the causes of insomnia
- lifestyle tips to set the stage for better sleep
- 3 simple breathing techniques for bedtime serenity
- restorative yoga postures to release tension
- 2 powerful relaxation techniques to get, and stay asleep
Breathe to Relieve Stress and Anxiety
The great yogic sages believe life is not measured by days but by the number of breaths we take. So why not slow the process down! Many of us habitually breathe fast and shallow with the breath residing in the upper chest. This not only means we have inefficient oxygen exchange, but that we are constantly signaling the brain that the body needs to stay on red alert for pending danger. We can easily shift our state from red alert to calm, cool and collected using the breath as a tool to adjust our nervous system.
In this experiential workshop you’ll…
- explore your habitual breathing patterns
- learn techniques for slowing and controlling the breath to reduce anxiety, fear or frustration
- learn a short and simple yoga practice for allowing the lungs to better support you
- practice different ways of using your breath to maximize the effectiveness of your yoga practice
Mudras, Mantras and Meditation
Meditation has numerous benefits including slowing down the aging process, reducing stress and improving the functioning of our brains. Rather than thinking of meditation as something we do, we can think of it as something we become. It is a state of consciousness that can help improve our overall health. Mudras are hand gestures that can be used as a tool to help us shift into the state of meditation. Mantras are sounds or phrases that help focus the mind. In this workshop you’ll explore a technique called Jappa Meditation which uses repeated phrases or mantras. In this special 3 hour workshop*you’ll create your own personalized meditation bracelet that assists with your meditation practice and helps to balance your Ayurvedic constitution.
In this workshop:
- learn a bit more about what meditation is, how to do it, and how it fits in with Yoga and Ayurveda
- create your own personalized meditation tool using special wood and crystal beads
- experience yoga postures and breathing techniques that help you move into meditation more easily
- explore mudras and mantras for calming, balancing and focusing the mind and body for a wonderful meditation experience
*please note: this workshop runs as a 3 hour format ONLY AT RIVERHOUSE. At Metta Massage & Yoga Clinic it is a 2 hour format and does not include creating a meditation tool.
Yoga Nidra: The Sleep of Self Discovery
Rod Stryker, an expert in the the field of Yoga calls Yoga Nidra “one of the untapped treasures of the Yoga tradition.”
Yoga Nidra is a multi-stepped guided meditation that restores body, mind and emotional balance. It is effective and simple. All you need to do is get comfortable, listen and feel your stress levels drop. When you finish your Yoga Nidra practice you’ll find you have more energy to get things done. And it only takes 17 minutes!
In this workshop:
- learn about Yoga Nidra and how it works
- find out what Yoga Nidra practice is best for you
- do a gentle series of Yoga postures to get in touch with your breath
- experience the deep relaxation and revitalization of a guided Yoga Nidra practice
Yoga Tools to Tame Tension
This workshop gives you a chance to “taste test” a wide range of yoga-based tools that help keep you calm, cool and collected. In this workshop you’ll learn about the following:
How Stressed are You?
You will do a short self-assessment to discover how stressed (or not) you are. The quiz will help you be aware of stressful events you may have encountered over the past 18 months and give you a personal stress rating.
Stress and You:
You will learn what happens to the body and brain physiologically when faced with stressful situations. This helps you understand the importance of reversing the stress response and how yoga can help.
You will explore and experience techniques that induce the relaxation response. You will learn how having the tools to manage the stress response can be of benefit to overall health and wellbeing. You will discuss and practice:
- the power of positive thought
- conscious breathing (breath awareness, abdominal breathing and 3-part breathing)
- simple yoga postures that help to restore and re-energize
- progressive relaxation (a sequential relaxation of every muscle)